Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The 80/20 Rule for your Closet!

"Have you ever heard of the 80/20 rule?

If not, it basically implies that there is an imbalance between the amount of resources we use, and the amount we have.

For example:

  • It is often said that 80% of the wealth is held by only 20% of the population {or less}
  • There’s a good chance that 80% of your phone calls, emails, or text messages go to only 20% of your contacts
  • I know I often fall in a rut of making 20% of my recipes 80% of the time
  • You’ll notice that 80% of the time, your kids will gravitate towards the same 20% of their toys
  • If you are a blogger, you’ve probably noticed that 80% of your comments are left by the same 20% of your readers — and we love those readers!

You get the idea, right?

So if you apply those statistics to the mass amounts of clothing in your closet, it means that 80% of the time, you wear the SAME 20% of your clothes.

This also means that the other 80% of your clothing is simply taking up valuable space in your closet.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

If you’re feeling like you wear the same things day after day, this is the perfect time of year to get out of that rut!

Set aside a few minutes {or hours} this weekend to pull everything out of your closet, take stock of what you have, purge, declutter, and create a simple, more organized closet space.

Here are a few tips to get started:

:

GET RID OF IT IF…

1. …you didn’t wear it this past winter, because there’s a pretty good chance you’re not going to wear it next winter either.

2. …you don’t love how it looks/feels on you

3. …you’ve been mistakenly asked if you are pregnant while wearing it

4. …you often try it on, but then change before leaving the house

5. …you look to old or young in it {age appropriate clothing applies to adults too!}

Now, as you begin to put everything back in your closet, take 2 extra minutes to hang each hanger “the wrong way” {just like the picture}.

Then, every time you wear something {not just try it on, but actually wear it} you can turn that hanger around. After a few months, you’ll easily be able to see what clothes you’re wearing and what ones can probably go.

You’ll have so much extra space in your closet, and you won’t even have to feel guilty about getting rid of anything because you weren’t wearing it anyway!"

>>I'm so on board with this!! I've already faced all my clothes the wrong way. It will be kind of fun to see what I do & don't wear. I think I'll give my clothes a 6 month chance, then BAM get rid of what I don't wear :)

One of my goals is to be more organized, I've been doing pretty awesome & this only helps. Plus the hubs says I have way too many clothes. A girl can never have too many clothes, right?? ;)


*I copied & pasted this awesome artical from: Original content from Simple Organized Living: http://www.simpleorganizedliving.com/2011/05/10/the-8020-rule-for-your-closet/#ixzz1ldajVS33

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!